05 December 2011

[INSPRIED_6] Video Games and International Humanitarian Law



I am somewhat mad about this article, so, I'm going to be harsh about it.  Why is the Red Cross spending time at their meetings discussing whether or not video games are representing the right things concerning international humanitarian law and war?  I thought they should be more interested in looking at themselves first, as to why they lack the ability or political knowledge to use social media outlets to expand their operations, rather than ignoring that such outlets exist.  The Red Cross is more interested in the 600 million online gamers who may/may not have committed crimes against humanity in video games.  I have a news flash for the Red Cross... "They're called video GAMES.  If these were supposed to be as real as you think they are, then they should just call them SIMULATIONS or even TRAINING."  You're arguments are just as invalid as those saying that video games like Grand Theft Auto cause kids to grow up as violent monsters.  That argument was so 10 years ago, so please focus your time, or obvious waste of it, on something else.




You want to teach online gamers the rules of international humanitarian law, or as you say, "maybe you shouldn't tie up [that hostage]" or "...it wouldn't hurt to teach online players the rules of humane conflict."  Should we just go ahead and make a video game where politicians argue one another for points?  Wait I have a better idea.  Let's make a game where you get to watch grass grow.  Seriously, video games aren't real depictions of things that happen in the real world and doing things like this make video games more and more boring.  When I go to play Modern Warfare 3, or better yet, Battlefield 3, I am going online to shoot my enemies, blow up some tanks, shoot down a fighter jet, and get some points on the side trolling the noobs.  In my personal experience, Battlefield 3 has been the more realistic game, and it even has friendly fire, which can happen, but you frown upon, praising Modern Warfare for turning reality off.  Playing video games is fun and takes up every waking minute of my free time, almost.

Stay out of my video games.  I know it's not realistic, and even a 12 year old can tell you the same thing.  Come on Red Cross, you have operations going on all around the world, and you're holding meetings on something like this?  I'm embarrassed for you.



I recall that sometime right after Modern Warfare 2 came out, The Onion went and made a post about a realistic, "true to life" game.  I sure can't imagine anyone actually playing this game.  It won't even be as popular as Street Cleaner Simulator.


Full Article: Popular Science

No comments:

Post a Comment